Wednesday, June 17, 2009

I'm in Uganda!!!

I arrived safely in Uganda this morning. No problems getting here--other than it took 2 days of travelling! I met up with the rest of the group in London, and then we all came into Uganda together. I'm still in shock that I'm really here. Our director, Sherry, and our driver, Henry, met us at the airport. Everyone's bags made it! Our first stop was at a hotel to exchange money. Then we went out for lunch--pizza! I made the comment that I never thought my first meal in Uganda would be pizza. :) It wasn't Pizza Pizazz, but it was pretty good! After lunch, we went to the school that Loving One by One started. The kids knew we were coming, so they lined up and we all went down the line saying hello. The children were so friendly. Lots of hugs, high-fives and "pound its." I introduced the "double pound" (2 fists), and the kids followed that up by saying "Boom shaka-la!" Then they put on a little show for us...singing and dancing. It was fantastic. I REALLY wish that the internet wasn't so slow because I really want to upload the videos. It's boring for me to just explain it...you really need to see it! Next, we went to the orphanage that they started. They are only approved to have 12 kids live there right now. The kids were SO CUTE! They hardly let us out of the van because they were so excited to hug us! I made a friend right away, Shafiga. If I remember correctly, she is 6 and FULL OF ENERGY! The kids performed some songs and dances for us too, and then they gave us a tour of their house, garden, and swingset. I can't wait to go back and see them! Now we're back at the guesthouse, Maria's Place. It is wonderful! I share a room with 2 other women, and the 3 of us share one bathroom. We're all tired from all the traveling and can hardly wait for dinner, so we can go to bed! (It's almost 5pm here now...) Uganda is beautiful...it's greener than I thought and the people are very friendly...I still can hardly believe I'm here!!!

3 comments:

  1. i'm so glad you made it there safely and that you were welcomed with open arms and smiling faces. and of course, only the mission trip you go on, your first meal is pizza. although, now that i think about it, my first meal on saturday is pizza too for stephanie's birthday, lol. I can't wait to read more through out your journey! miss you lots bouffy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I left a comment but it did not save it. Adam and I say hello! Glad you made it! We are proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We got fired from sax by the way:)

    ReplyDelete