Monday, June 29, 2009

Last week in Uganda...

Today, we went back to the school LOBO started. There are 65 children in grades 1-4. We joined them for chapel this morning, and then we broke up into groups of 3 and each group spent 20 minutes in each "classroom." The first graders have their own room but the other 3 grades share one giant room with wood dividers. This was very distracting because it got very loud! I asked one of the teachers about it, and she said that it is very hard to teach because you can hear everything that is going on in the other 2 grades. My group told a little bit about each person and we showed them on a world map where we are from. Then we taught them how to play "Heads up, 7-up." The seemed to enjoy it once they got the hang of it.

I'm not really feeling well right now...think it's just a cold or maybe a sinus infection. I'm really tired too. I was up late learning African dances with some of the guest house staff and some team members. Haha bet you wish you could see video of that! Don't you worry, we took some video of it! I haven't even mentioned them yet, but there are 4 people in their 20s that work at the guest house we're staying at. They are so much fun! Three of them can speak English fairly well and the fourth one just smiles alot! We always ask them to teach us more Luganda (the language here). Oh and we ask them to dance for us too!

I get to stay at the Home (LOBO's orphanage) for 3 extra days, but the rest of the team leaves bright and early Wednesday morning. Therefore, they had to say goodbye to the kids last night. I was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO relieved that I didn't have to say goodbye and that I get to spend a couple days with them. Shafiga was crying, and I kept telling her I'll be back Wednesday. She wouldn't let go of me until I promised that I would be back Wednesday. Agghhh! It's a catch-22 because I know I'm going to get even more attached when I stay with them for 3 days! I don't know how I'm going to leave them...

Y'know the slum I wrote about in my last post? We're going back there tomorrow to hold a medical clinic. I received a last minute donation right before I left and that is going to pay for the 3 doctors for the clinic. God is so awesome to provide us with enough money to bring some medical care to this desperate area. I don't think I can say it enough...THANK YOU for supporting me and the Ugandans on this mission trip. Thank God for bringing me to Uganda this summer to serve Him.

"Be the change you wish to see in the world." -Gandhi

God bless.

1 comment:

  1. Wow Brita! Your trip sounds AMAZING so far! Your writing makes me feel like I am there, and also brings back a lot of memories from India. I feel like I can almost see Shafiga:( I am sad for her too! I will pray for strength for you when you have to move on from there. I am headed to Mexico tomorrow, so safe travels to you on Saturday, I will be at Shannons wedding. Many blessings to you! We are so proud of you. Adam says hello!

    ReplyDelete