Monday, June 22, 2009

Medical Clinics

The first 3 full days (Thurs-Sat) we held medical clinics. My job for these clinics was to take stats on the patients. A Ugandan woman would write the patient's name and age on a booklet and then the patient would come to one of four triage "nurses" (me and 3 others in the group) to have their symptoms, temperature, blood pressure, and heart rate taken and recorded in his/her booklet. I had a blast playing nurse and by the third day, I caught myself trying to diagnose them in my head. We were blessed to have a couple translators to help us understand their symptoms for those who didn't speak English. The first clinic was held in a Sudanese village in Kampala. Imagine an 8x12 room for 4 stats people and their patients and the "pharmacy." The pharmacy was one table with all the drugs layed out and 3 people filling prescriptions. We only had benches for intake which made it a struggle as I had to hold everything on my lap and write on my lap. Some of the babies have never seen mzungus (white people), so they would scream just being near us. One 10 monthish old baby literally about jumped out of her mother's lap because she was so afraid when one of the nurses tried to touch her. It was hilarious because I've never seen a baby react like that...we were all cracking up...even the locals. My booty and back were very sore at the end of the day from sitting hunched over on a wood bench for about 6 hours straight without getting up once! The next day we had desks (we were at a school) to work on which was so much easier! The third clinic was way outside of town in an AIDS village--most of the parents have been wiped out from AIDS, so the grandparents (jaja) are raising the children. We also opened a "clothing shop" so children could come in and pick out one outfit. This was very special for them because they NEVER get to pick out their own clothes. One little girl said, "I'm never ever taking this dress off." It is humbling how grateful the children are for ONE new outfit. I was kept so busy with the clinics that I never really had a chance to feel sorry for the people or really think through their situations...also, the people are SO SO FRIENDLY and smiley that you wouldn't think they were so poor if you didn't see them.

AHHHH! So much to write and think about...that's all for now though...

2 comments:

  1. I am so happy that your angels are taking care of you so far and that you have not gotten sick and that you are enjoying your volunteer time.

    I am a little guilty that I am writing this from a five star hotel on the las vegas strip. Adam's birthday trip. Karl and Adam both say hello! For a little laugh, can you imagine Karl volunteering down there, being white and with his voice:)

    Stay safe, and I am glad you are having the chance at a life changing experience! We are all praying for you and wishing you the best!

    Michael Karl and Adam

    ReplyDelete
  2. We miss you Brita ta ta tah

    ReplyDelete